simple is beautiful
Photo Business News & Forum: Client Deliverables - The CD-ROM gets a makeover
2 ... 2 ...

Thursday, December 6, 2007

Client Deliverables - The CD-ROM gets a makeover

Back in October, I was at PhotoPlus Expo, and tucked away in a corner was a very small booth. So small that I didn't notice it during my first pass-thru of the show floor. On a second walk-around, I noticed the printers spinning, showing off the CD's, and I was pleasantly surprised at how nice they looked - they were printed on a DYMO CD/DVD Color Printer.

I grabbed a brochure, and asked when it would be available, and they said November, so I put it on my back burner until it popped into my mind on a flight back from LA last night, when an in-flight magazine had an ad for Dymo, and I thought to myself that I wanted to check to see if it was available now. And it is.

I plan on migrating from my silk-screen printed discs to a more customized output using this device. Far too often, I burn a disc that cost $1.50 (CD + silkscreening costs) and it fails, and I'd rather not print the CD until it's been tested as good.

I use the following CD for client deliverables:
(Continued after the Jump)

I am looking forward to replicating that layout and design with my new Dymo. It expect it to look very very close to a silk-screened disk, and I am excited about that.

Quite often, after we deliver a CD, and encourage the client to make copies, they instead come back to us to burn a second disc, which we do for 50% of the original. So, if our CD output charge was $75, the second CD is $37.50. For the CD's that are $175 to output (which is about 80% of what we do), our second CD charge is $87.50, plus shipping/couriers. The clients like that it looks professional, and consistent with the other CD they received.

Please post your comments by clicking the link below. If you've got questions, please pose them in our Photo Business Forum Flickr Group Discussion Threads.

0 comments:

Post a Comment